[cap-talk] Polaris: Virus Safe Computing for Windows XP

David Wagner daw at cs.berkeley.edu
Mon Dec 6 18:34:31 EST 2004

Jonathan Shapiro writes:
>This seems terribly harsh on several grounds:
>
>1. Alan et al. are not the community.
>
>2. They have substantially reduced the scope of the defensive problem.
>This is good progress forward. The question is not whether there is a
>hole. The question is whether the hole is, in principle, fixable.

I buy that.

Perhaps my assessment was overly harsh....

It is an interesting question whether the shatter hole is, in principle,
fixable without loss of functionality/useability/convenience.  I don't
know Windows well enough to have an opinion on that question.  Does anyone
else have any insights on this?