[cap-talk] Polaris: Virus Safe Computing for Windows XP - licensing issues

David Hopwood david.nospam.hopwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Dec 13 19:45:30 EST 2004

Karp, Alan H wrote:
> I'd love to use your encapsulation scheme, and it's exactly what I'd use
> on Linux.  I just don't know how to do it on Windows.  None of the
> virtual OSes, ala Xen, works with Windows, and virtual machines are too
> heavyweight to have one per process.

Also, it's not clear that one VM per process would comply with Microsoft's
EULA for Windows XP:

     * Installation and use.  You may install, use, access,
       display and run one copy of the Product on a single
       computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device
       ("Workstation Computer"). [...]

Note "one copy" (per license). The license doesn't appear to interfere
in any way with virtualization of that copy, though, provided you can get
the activation procedure to work on a VM without modifying Windows code.

<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/eula.mspx>
(this clause is the same for XP Home and Pro).