[cap-talk] Using C strings to hold capabilities.

Ian Grigg iang at systemics.com
Wed Oct 13 12:20:48 EDT 2004

Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
> Guys, capabilities as strings just isn't going to work. The closest we
> are going to get is "strings as capability designators".

I agree.  C is the language of forging pointers
to everything and anything whenever ... so forging
a weak caps pretence system seems like it won't
work.

> This, note, is equivalent to privatizing all process namespaces, which
> has been done in several systems.

As a question of understanding, do you mean by
"privatizing" making the namespace like Java/OO's
private namespace?  That is, within an object,
and not apparent outside except by references
provided?

iang