[cap-talk] the prize - scope and mechanisms

Valerio Bellizzomi devbox at selnet.org
Fri Oct 22 18:19:20 EDT 2004

On 21/10/2004, at 15.55, Jed Donnelley wrote:

(snip)

>If Alice has an effective rights communication mechanism available
>for sending the right to the Carol object to Bob, then Alice can
>effect that communication without being concerned that others
>might inappropriately receive the communicated right, that the
>right might not be fully or wholly communicated, etc.
>
>However, the idea of the rights communication mechanism is
>exactly that Alice be able to send the right to the object serviced
>by Carol to Bob and that after doing so Bob is able to exercise that
>right.  All we can ask of our rights communication mechanism is
>that it effects this rights transfer safely with 100% accuracy.
>We can ask nothing about restricting Bob's ability to exercise
>the right for good or ill after it is received.

I believe this all boils down to the following two properties to make the
rights communication mechanism effect rights transfer safely with 100%
accuracy:

1. The rights communication mechanism will not modify rights in any way, it
is only a transport.
2. It will transfer rights intact only to the specified recipients, while
making rights unusable during the transfer operation, and only at
destination the rights will be usable again. There is a (transient)
transformation but the right is not modified.

val