[cap-talk] Comments on a paper

Karp, Alan H alan.karp at hp.com
Tue Jul 5 12:08:53 EDT 2005

Nick Szabo wrote:

> Instead, the answer is scarce objects:
>
> http://szabo.best.vwh.net/scarce.html

The architecture described in this write-up is similar to the one in the
paper I cited, with some significant differences, though.  Nick shows
one Transfer Agent per Issuer.  The cited paper allows several Transfer
Agents per Issuer.  Nick's version is one-level, i.e., the Transfer
Agent grants rights to the Ticket Client.  In the cited paper, the
Transfer Agent could also grant rights to other Transfer Agents.  Nick's
architecture is designed to conserve claims on the resource.  The cited
paper specifically encourages producing tickets for more resource than
is available.

Nick's solution is clearly simpler, but it doesn't address the goals set
out in the paper I cited.  We can argue about whether or not those goals
are realistic, but that's the starting point.

Alan Karp
Principal Scientist
Virus Safe Computing Initiative
Hewlett-Packard Laboratories