[cap-talk] Posters on Polaris and Petnames

David Hopwood david.nospam.hopwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jul 6 21:03:36 EDT 2005

Jed at Webstart wrote:
> At 11:55 PM 7/5/2005, Ka-Ping Yee wrote:
>
>> I'm attending SOUPS (http://cups.cs.cmu.edu/soups/) this week,
>> and will be presenting two posters.  The posters can be seen at
>>
>>     http://wolog.net/
>>
>> I hope they do justice to the good work by people on this list
>> that they represent.  I welcome your thoughts and comments.

Incidentally, I had occasion to use PayPal recently, and the legitimate
emails that they send you are remarkably suspicious-looking :-) It was
quite gratifying to see the Petname Toolbar working as intended.

> I was amazed when I saw your chart indicating that US Bank, PayPal,
> and eBay don't use SSL on their default login page.

Hmm? https://www.paypal.com is the default login page for PayPal, and
all the URLs in the email I got from them (attached) were https.

> 2.  Viruses and authority.  The focus generally seems reasonable
> to me.  Two minor thoughts:
>
> When you say "Half an hour goes by as your computer
> cleans itself of all known viruses" you might add (which
> may have already done irreparable harm.  How did the
> virus come to be on the computer?).

Also, that's "all viruses that the AV company has prepared definition
entries for as of your last update, modulo bugs in the definition files".

BTW, a virus scan on my Windows machine takes *considerably* more than half
an hour. More like 6 hours (I have lots of small files and archives).

[And now that I look at the logs, I find that Norton AV has been logging
what it calls "Unauthorized access" events continuously at a rate of
about 3 per second, without bothering to tell me about it, all of which
are almost certainly false alarms caused by ctfmon.exe
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=282599).
Yep: definitely false alarms, since turning off "Advanced Text Services"
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313176/EN-US/) fixes it.]