[cap-talk] SCOLL : A Language for Safe Capability Based Collaboration

Yves Jaradin yjaradin at info.ucl.ac.be
Tue Jul 19 11:59:15 EDT 2005

Hi all,

We submitted a paper to the POPL06 conference

SCOLL : A Language for Safe Capability Based Collaboration

Yves Jaradin, Fred Spiessens and Peter Van Roy

In capability secure systems it is important to understand the restrictive
influence programmed entities (e.g. procedures, objects,
modules, components) have on the propagation of influence in a
program. We explain why Take-Grant systems are not sufficiently
expressive for this task, and we provide a new formalism – Authority
Reduction systems (AR-systems) – to model collaborative propagation.
AR-systems provide safe and tractable approximations of
adequate precision for the confinement properties in configurations
of collaborating entities.
We propose a domain specific declarative language – SCOLL
(Safe COLlaboration Language) – to express the collaborative behavior
of subjects, the initial conditions in a configuration, and the
requirements about confinement and liveness that are to be ensured.
We provide the syntactic structure and an operational and denotational
semantics for the language. From experiments with a first
implementation, we provide a preliminary result and show how patterns
for capability based collaboration can be analyzed and generated.

All comments are welcome.

Yves Jaradin
Université Catholique de Louvain