[cap-talk] Capabilities by example in C#

Karp, Alan H alan.karp at hp.com
Wed Nov 1 10:22:42 CST 2006

I like it a LOT.  Very nice job.  The only thing I would change is the
object you control access to.  In your example, it's a string.  We know
in our brains that's just an object, but in our hearts we treat it as
pure data.  I think the example would work better if you were
controlling an object, say

	Whisperer whisperer = new Whisperer("I play with Barbies.");

With getter

	String secret = whisperer.whisper();

Now, when you show passing an argument, you'll be passing a reference to
something everyone thinks of as an object.

	Shrink freud = new Shrink();
	freud.tell(whisperer);

(I don't play with Barbies, either.  Well, maybe sometimes.)

Alan Karp
Principal Scientist
Virus Safe Computing Initiative
Hewlett-Packard Laboratories