[cap-talk] Capabilities by example in C#

Sandro Magi naasking at higherlogics.com
Wed Nov 1 13:09:31 CST 2006

Stiegler, Marc D wrote:
> I sympathize with the fear that the introduction of taming will produce
> information overload. You are in a better position to assess the
> audience than I, whether the risk of information overload is greater, or
> the misunderstanding of what needs to be done to actually have security
> is greater. If you are presenting to an audience that would be users of
> a cap-C#, I think skipping the taming to avoid overload is the right
> answer.

Users of cap-C# and the web-calculus is the current target audience. I
started with "understanding capabilities in a language", and it kind of
evolved to discuss the Powerbox too.

> If you are presenting to a team at Microsoft that might think
> about actually doing something with this, would they feel that you had
> misled them if, on the second day of development, you unveiled the
> secret truth that fixing the flaws in the language is the easy 20% of
> the problem, and fixing the libraries is the 80% elephant-in-the-closet
> before they can build a DarpaBrowser.

Oh, if I were presenting to Microsoft I would totally cover taming. I
agree 100% there. :-)

I am leaning towards including something about taming or at least
capability-oriented library design anyway.

Sandro