[cap-talk] Manipulating an object with a secondary reference

Charles Landau clandau at macslab.com
Sun Nov 12 15:36:34 CST 2006

At 3:00 PM -0500 11/12/06, Micah Brodsky wrote:
>I've got a simple patters question: What's a good way to manipulate an
>object when named by a weak capability but when the necessary access
>permissions are provided by a different, stronger capability?

You are asking about "rights amplification", and there are
discussions of it at http://www.cap-lore.com/CapTheory/Amplify.html
and
http://www.erights.org/elib/capability/ode/ode-capabilities.html#rights-amp.

>Should you just dig through your own
>capabilities hunting for an applicable one?

As mentioned at the cap-lore link, you could do that, but capability
systems implement other mechanisms to do the equivalent more
efficiently.