[cap-talk] Milton Friedman Quote

Jed at Webstart donnelley1 at webstart.com
Fri Nov 17 14:22:41 CST 2006

At 08:33 AM 11/17/2006, Mark S. Miller wrote:
>Milton Friedman died yesterday. He was a great man, about which many will
>write more eloquently than I will attempt here. Reading his obit this morning
>in the Wall Street Journal, I came across this quote which struck me as quite
>relevant for thinking about the future of object-capabilities:
>

>          We do not influence the course of events by persuading people
>          that we are right when we make what they regard as radical
>          proposals. Rather, we exert influence by keeping options
>          available when something has to be done at a time of crisis.
>                                              --Milton Friedman

Nice quote.  I hope it works out that way.  As noted in my recent postings I
think we still have some homework to do (r.e. permanent delegation of
permissions, people management/audit, etc. in object/capability systems).

Milton Friedman was one of my heros also.  Beyond his better known
economic and general freedom contributions he also had a significant
impact on eliminating the military draft in the US.  His work in that
area was too late for me.  I don't have a bachelors degree in Chemistry
because I decided to deliberately fail a course in my last quarter as
a senior so as to postpone my graduation and thereby give me more
time with a student deferment to see if my lottery number would come
up slavery or freedom.  I still don't understand how there can be any
interpretation of the 13th amendment to the US constitution:

"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime
whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the
United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

other than that the military draft (and jury duty and impressed fire duty
incidentally) is unconstitutional.  I find that inconsistency embarrassing
for our country.

I'm wearing a black arm band today to honor Milton Friedman.  I'll certainly
miss his voice for freedom.  I hope his books stand the test of time.  If so
I consider it hopeful for humanity.

--Jed http://www.webstart.com/jed/