[cap-talk] Ok, I'm being a bit cheeky here. I'm half way through designing a new

Toby Murray toby.murray at comlab.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 21 09:22:08 CST 2006

[This probably isn't the sort of answer to your question you were
looking for but hey...]

Consider not just using a Capability System for the "access control"
portion of your MUD but as the base for the entire implementation.

The E language (www.erights.org) has to be among the best languages for
writing secure, distributed systems. (I'm presuming you want your MUD to
be secure. I guess it's a given that you want it to be distributed).
It's also a Capability System. Better yet, the Capability System is
already implemented in the language and all you need do is good
object-oriented programming and you'll largely get your "Capability
Security" for free.

(I don't contribute to the E language, I should point out and am merely
just a fan.)

I reckon one could write your MUD in E with much less code than most
mainstream languages and gain significantly better security. That'll
make it an order of magnitude easier to maintain and develop in the
first place, thereby increasing your chances of reaching your end-goal
of actually having built the thing.

Want your connections between hosts automatically encrypted?
Want capability security for doing nothing more than good OO
programming?
Want your code to automatically perform well over high-lantency networks
cos the language automatically pipelines remote requests?

I'd bet E can do all of the above for you.