[cap-talk] Boebert Farber paper reference?

Bill Tulloh btulloh at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 09:43:59 CST 2006

On 11/28/06, Jed Donnelley <jed at nersc.gov> wrote:
>Funny.  I was just looking back at this message and asking a bit
> about D.J. Farber and capabilities.  I was a bit befuddled when I saw that he's a
>  coauthor on the EROS
> paper.  However, I'm not aware of any early capability work by D. J. Farber.
> Maybe Jonathan Shapiro could fill us in a bit on Farber's role in the
> EROS work?

The earliest paper I've seen by David J. Farber that references capabilities is:

W. David Sincoskie, David J. Farber: SODS/OS: Distributed Operating
System for the IBM Series/1. Operating Systems Review 14(3): 46-54
(1980)

However, this doesn't seem like a primary source in any sense. His
involvement with EROS as you say comes later, and seems to stem from
Jonathan's days as a student at U Penn where Farber was on the
faculty.

There is also a David A. Farber who worked with Popek on the UCLA Data
Secure Unix.

Popek,C.J., and Farber,D.A., "A Model for Verification of Data
Security in Operating Systems", Communications of the ACM, Vol. 21,
No. 9, September 1978, pp.737-749.

The focus of this paper is program verification, however, not capabilities.

Unless there is some unpublished classified work I'm unaware of, I
still think the best guess is he meant Fabry.

Bill