[cap-talk] Deep attenuation

Mark Miller erights at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 18:59:07 EDT 2007

On 8/12/07, David Hopwood <david.hopwood at industrial-designers.co.uk> wrote:
> I prefer "deep attenuation", since that is consistent with
> the shallow version being called just "attenuation".
> "Mask" does not convey the idea that the attenuation
> applies transitively to referenced objects.

I agree. When applied specifically to directories, I'd find either
term plausible, because of the image of turning permission bits on and
off. But when attenuating forms of authority that have no plausible
representation as permission bits, I'd find "mask" perplexing. For
example, Redell's caretaker does a temporal attenuation of authority.
The membrane does this same temporal attenuation, but deeply.