[cap-talk] Deep attenuation - "heritage"?

David Hopwood david.hopwood at industrial-designers.co.uk
Tue Aug 14 09:19:30 EDT 2007

John Carlson wrote:
> You could think of other things besides heritage...perhaps "strain"
> denoting something that is inherited.   Like "a strain of capabilities"
> or race, stock, line, breed, streak, etc. etc.  Lots of stuff under
> strain on answers.com.  The only disadvantage of strain is that it sounds like
> a strain of virus.  Perhaps one of the above are better.
>
> John
> On Aug 13, 2007, at 3:12 PM, Jed Donnelley wrote:
>
>> What's in a name - "deep attenuation":
>>
>> I'm going to make one more try on "deep attenuation".  Here are my
>> reasons for trying:
>>
>> 1.  I'd rather have one word than two.
>>
>> 2.  "Attenuation" sounds a bit academic to me - no big deal, but a bit
>> off putting I think.
>>
>> 3.  The term "deep" suggests to me that something is drilling down
>> into a structure - e.g. recursively.  This is in effect what
>> happens, but not the way it happens.
>>
>> I much prefer the "inheritance" term that was used at LLNL,
>> but of course that is no longer available.
>>
>> What about "heritage"?  This is one word and it seems to
>> me could serve as I think it would be unlikely to be confused
>> with "inheritance".
>>
>> Not a big deal to me, but I thought it was worth one more try.

I frankly have no idea what metaphors are intended to be invoked by
"heritage", "strain", etc. If "deep" suggests that the attenuation
applies recursively to elements of an object structure, that's precisely
the intent.

Please let's not make inferior choices of terminology out of fear of
"sounding academic".

--
David Hopwood <david.hopwood at industrial-designers.co.uk>