[cap-talk] How data can you get? A challenge

Jed Donnelley capability at webstart.com
Tue Jan 16 00:31:53 CST 2007

How data can you get and still qualify as the purest of pure
object-capability system?

This is the topic that I've concerned myself with for the last few days.

I believe I've architected (adapted actually) a system that's pure
data and distributed but is as functionally object-capability as any
we've discussed (considering implausible guessing to be as likely as
a hardware failure - i.e. not failure).

Consider a system in which each active object (process, domain) is
associated with a public/private key pair.  The TCB knows the private
key (with suitable randomness) and the public key.

Now consider a capability (by protocol assumption of the TCB) to be
the following:

Public key, address hint, data:  where "data" is assumed to have a
sufficiently large section of recognizable data (could be an initial
block of, say, 128 zero bits) so that it's encrypted form can't be guessed.

The only send operation is "invoke".  The invoke operation uses the
essential procedures in:

http://www.webstart.com/jed/papers/Managing-Domains/#s13

In a diagram:

http://www.webstart.com/jed/papers/Managing-Domains/Figure-6-50.gif

In this diagram:

X <down arrow> indicates the encryption operating with the public key and
X <up arrow>   indicates the signing or decryption operation with the
private key

In this email message I indicate these as Xd and Xu.

I now describe the "invoke" operation on a capability that's asked to
transfer a block consisting of an arbitrary number of data and
capability 'tokens' (recognizable data blocks, defined by a framing
convention of the TCB, where each block of data is indicated by the
framing to be either simple data or a capability).

1.  The TCB first checks the data block of the capability by applying
SdXu where Xu indicates the decryption/signing application of the
domains private key and Sd indicates the encryption/public key
operation (using the public key that's the first part of the
capability).  If the appropriate recognizable block of data (the 128
zero bits) isn't in the capability then the invocation fails and goes
no further.

Note that in the case that S==X (namely that this is a local object
and the active object has it's own public key) then this is an
identity operation that simply checks for the appropriate data
block.  An attempt to send to self fails.

If the recognizable data block is in the transformed capability then
the operation continues.  In that case it transforms the data block
of the capability with:

SdXuXu

2.  Sending: The TCB does a nonce handshake with the system at the
address hint (issues much like with YURLs) to try to communicate there.

If that succeeds it continues:

The communicated message consists of the data blocks that were
requested to be transferred, untouched.  For the capability blocks
the same operation as in #1 happens for each capability (check and if
OK transform).  Any failure terminates the communication.  Otherwise
the communication continues until either it ends or until any normal
communication terminating event occurs (network failure, capability
failure, etc.).

3.  Receiving:  Doing a receive operation requires no capability, but
receiving can only happen from active objects/domains that have a
proper capability to the receiving active object.  When receiving the
TCB goes through the dual of the nonce handshake with the public key
as noted for sending.  If that succeeds then it transfers data into a
receiving buffer with data transferred literally and capabilities
transformed as:

XdSdXu

In this case X denotes the key(s) for the receiving (local, hence Xu
is known) domain and Sd is the public key of the sending domain (note
that in general Sd is different from the server public key).  As in
the sending case, on receiving capabilities are also checked for the
appropriate redundancy by protocol and rejected if the check fails -
terminating the receive.  In the case where the public key for the
capability is the same as the public key for the sender, the sending
address can be checked (a fine point tied into the address hint,
naming/finding servers, etc.).

Perhaps I'm just being stubborn about this and I'm missing something
important, but I don't know of any pure object-capability properties
that this system doesn't have.  In this system the functions of a
capability TCB and that of a "vat" (e.g. DCCS) are effectively combined.

I'm very interested to hear any "attacks" on this system.  That is
demonstrations of object-capability functional properties that this
system doesn't have.  There may be simplifications possible and
certainly optimizations, but I'd very much like to have the
"object-capability"ness of its functionality attacked.

Ground rule - Implausible guessing is considered as likely as a
hardware failure, i.e. not considered in any failure scenario.

I wonder if an interactive discussion at HP on this topic might be
worthwhile?  I know we had a brief discussion on this basic mechanism
considered in a different context.  Now the keys are maintained by
the TCB (actually as I suggested in my Managing Domains paper) and
I'm claiming all object-capability properties.

If there are simple problems that can be clarified on the list with
no equally simple fixes (i.e. fundamental), then any such early
fatality should of course derail any interactive
discussion.  Otherwise I'd be interested in participating in a
discussion of this topic.

For me exploring such a mechanism is one way to get at the essential
aspects of whatever trust is needed in a capability distribution
mechanism (like the vats).

--Jed  http://www.webstart.com/jed-signature.html