[cap-talk] least authority -why flames (was: least authority gets some press)

Jed Donnelley capability at webstart.com
Tue Jan 23 02:05:26 CST 2007

At 10:30 PM 1/22/2007, John McCabe-Dansted wrote:
>On 1/23/07, Karp, Alan H <alan.karp at hp.com> wrote:
> > David Wagner wrote:
> >  Whether to do it for a
> > particular application would involve a decision, so it would not be
> > completely free.
>
>I am not sure what you mean by completely free.  Clearly just writing
>Polaris cost you something. If these decisions are made by your
>"solutions provider", these decisions can have zero marginal cost per
>additional user, and a small fixed cost per additional application
>that is be integrated by the solutions provider.

I just thought I'd mention that I like the above way of characterizing
the costs for the endowment mechanism:

a.  Zero marginal cost per additional user, and a
b.  Small fixed cost per additional application

That's about how I see it, though I may not have stated
it so succinctly.  I still hold out hope that there may
be offsetting savings for the additional applications (as
I mentioned - reduced costs for the applications in not
having to deal with global environments of potentially
varying sorts), but the above seems to me a pretty
conservative and defendable position.

--Jed  http://www.webstart.com/jed-signature.html