[cap-talk] Capabilities and Freedom vs. Safety

Toby Murray toby.murray at comlab.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jul 26 11:39:18 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 07:42 -0700, Mark Miller wrote:
> On 7/26/07, Toby Murray <toby.murray at comlab.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> > None of this helps when we move from considering perission to authority,
> > however. The best work on the safety problem (such as Fred Spiessens'
> > SCOLL) fails to adequately reason  about authority.
>
> "fails to adequately reason  about authority"? AFAIK, this is a
> stronger claim than you've made previously. Could you elaborate?

This of course depends on one's definition of "adequate". However, my
definition of adequate includes the ability to discover when
(subject/object) Alice has the authority to invoke Bob but can't acquire
the permission to do so. This requires (counterfactual) causal reasoning
in order to make this determination. (I know you know, but for the
benefit of anyone else reading) we've discussed this somewhat recently
on the list. My own work with CSP is trying to do exactly this.

It wasn't meant to be a stronger claim than  I've made previously, but
without the qualifications I've just made, it of course was.