[cap-talk] Capabilities and Freedom vs. Safety

David Hopwood david.hopwood at industrial-designers.co.uk
Sat Jul 28 21:37:05 EDT 2007

David Wagner wrote:
> James Donald writes:
>> Similarly, if Microsoft was an object cap programming
>> environment, all the capabilities objects would be
>> initialized at startup to the extent that this was
>> possible, and stuffed into the "theApp" object, where
>> all their capabilities would be ambient to all the code,
>> with the result that all the advantages of writing
>> programs in a purely object capability language would be
>> eliminated.
>
> It's possible I misunderstood what you are describing,
> but I don't think that true objcap languages actually
> let you do that.  That's just not expressible in objcap
> languages, as far as I know.

It is expressible in most of them (just put all the application
code in a nested scope in which the declaration of theApp is
visible). But that's beside the point: no-one is claiming
that that all application designs that can be expressed in
obj-cap languages are equally secure.

--
David Hopwood <david.hopwood at industrial-designers.co.uk>