[cap-talk] Delegating Responsibility in Digital Systems: Horton's "Who Done It?"

Karp, Alan H alan.karp at hp.com
Thu Jun 7 11:47:40 EDT 2007

Jed wrote:

> >Wasn't providing undeniable authentication a motivation of the
> >discussion that led to the design of the Horton protocol?
> >
> >Curiously,
> >Pierre
>
> I'd also like to see an answer to the above, partly in the hope that
> it might help to clear up the other high level issues that I'm
> struggling with.

The motivating example did not require non-repudiation.  Recall that
example.  Carol runs a wiki and wants to know who is responsible for
posting spam so she can remove that party's ability to post.  Carol
doesn't have to prove to anyone else the identity of the spammer.

Each request from a different responsible party comes through a
different forwarder under Carol's control.  That provides Carol
undeniable authentication.  However, Carol can't prove that to anyone
else because the forwarder is under her control.  For example, she could
have sent the request herself.

Alan Karp
Principal Scientist
Virus Safe Computing Initiative