[cap-talk] "Comm system"

Kevin Reid kpreid at mac.com
Thu Mar 15 13:57:14 CDT 2007

(Posted to cap-talk as well as e-lang; please consider which lists to
reply to.)

Mark Miller said yesterday that he thought "comm system" was too
generic, that there are too many things it could refer to.

(A comm system, in our existing terminology, is a program which
manages proxies for remote objects over some network/IPC protocol
(e.g. CapTP, boot-comm); serialization, resolution, pipelining,
whenBroken, etc.)

He suggested the term "remoting system". "remoting" is an unfamiliar
term to me, and I'd like to hear others' thoughts on these choices of
terminology.