[cap-talk] If not God, then Lampson (was: Re: Lampson: POLP as damaging)

Jed Donnelley capability at webstart.com
Mon Apr 7 11:39:57 CDT 2008

At 08:43 AM 4/7/2008, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
>Folks, obsessing over Butler is fundamentally non-productive. Butler is
>not God.

While its true they were unable to get God to give the
keynote at Usenix, Butler Lampson was next on the list.

>In fact, he thinks Larry Ellison is God...

That's interesting.  I hadn't heard that before.

>All jokes aside, make the case for oCaps by example. Let Butler
>challenge your success rather than wasting your time challenging or
>worrying about his unexplained and unchallenged assertions.

I appreciate the above argument, but I do think it worthwhile
to tune up our arguments against these sorts of public attacks,
as you do in your next message, which I'll take up separately.
Particularly finding the elements of truth (as you note)
and clarifying them.

The problem that we face isn't so much from one person (e.g.
Butler), but it is more, as FredS noted, that the "door is
closed."  It is that the visible and accepted view of POLA and
capabilities is dominated by such 'lights of industry'
and is negative.

Of course Lampson didn't respond to the cc of my initial
message.  I guess one can't expect a response from God.

--Jed  http://www.webstart.com/jed-signature.html