[cap-talk] OOUI

Jed Donnelley capability at webstart.com
Tue Apr 8 10:53:18 CDT 2008

At 10:44 PM 4/7/2008, John Carlson wrote:

>On Apr 7, 2008, at 2:21 PM, Jed Donnelley wrote:
> >
> > If what you're saying is that the missing piece is the underlying
> > OO infrastructure then we are in perfect agreement.
> >
> > I believe the power box UI can apply to any object (not just a file)
> > and to any domain separated running programs (not just 'processes').
>
>I really dislike GUIs where you have to mouse click down 4000 levels
>to get to the thing you want.  Where's a good example of a power box
>that works on MaCOSX Leopard?  I'd like one that works like bash.  Is
>this possible?  What is the typical syntax for a typing power box?

It seems to me the tradeoff between clicking through names vs.
typing through names is independent of whether you are using a
power box or any other sort of path name traversing mechanism.

>Perhaps I need to look at Plash again

If you do and you don't find the sort of typing traversal you
like you could add one.  Might be a good exercise.

>and Petnames for the first time.

Do you mean the petname toolbar as:

?  I don't think that addresses the sort of path name interface
that you are considering.

--Jed  http://www.webstart.com/jed-signature.html