[cap-talk] Demonstration and engagement (was: If not God)

Jonathan S. Shapiro shap at eros-os.com
Wed Apr 9 15:43:34 CDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 13:20 -0700, Jed Donnelley wrote:
> On 4/9/2008 12:39 PM, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:

> > None of these are demonstrations in the sense that I meant.
> > They are demonstrations in the sense of "demo-ware".  What we
> > need is a production-ready system.
>
> NLTSS wasn't just a production "ready" system, it was a
> production system for over 10 years....

My apologies. I had not intended to write "none", but the note got away
from me before I could edit that.

The problem with NLTSS is that it isn't something we can show people
today. This is hardly NLTSS's fault, but there it is.

> The
> same could be said for other systems I expect (e.g. KeyKOS?).

KeyKOS was not invisible, but once again it isn't current.

> Why don't you consider Tahoe "production ready"?

Tahoe may well be production ready. It doesn't address a
user-perceptible need by virtue of being a capability system.

My point, I think is that (a) we need a system that works, and (b) we
need a system that visibly solves a problem.

shap