[cap-talk] Understanding capabilities in a web-desktop setting

Jonathan S. Shapiro shap at eros-os.com
Tue Aug 12 10:06:56 CDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 16:03 +0100, Ben Laurie wrote:
> > I'm not sure that
> > I fully understand what E does here, but I imagine that it may be very
> > close to the Scheme DELAY and FORCE constructs, with the caveat that
> > these.

Sorry about the dropped sentence. The rest of that sentence was going to
read "with the caveat that in some cases the delayed E expressions can
be evaluated in parallel", but then I realized that I don't know enough
about the way this works in E to be sure that this is true. In
particular, if a delayed E form can source or sink mutable values that
might be subject to modification by the rest of the program, running
them in parallel would introduce de facto concurrency within a VAT. I
believe that MarkM took some steps to limit this type of damage, but I
don't recall what all of them were or whether they were sufficient.