[cap-talk] password capabilities & object capability model?

Ben Laurie benl at google.com
Sat Aug 23 08:48:34 CDT 2008

2008/8/22 Karp, Alan H <alan.karp at hp.com>:
> MarkM wrote:
>

> Ø I consider an unguessable swiss number to be a simple form of crypto --
perhaps the simplest form.

> The only requirement for a swiss number is that it be unguessable.
Cryptography is one way to generate such numbers, but there are others. For
example, there's a guy at PARC who uses a Lava lamp. The numbers he
generates are unguessable, but there's no cryptography involved. I think the
name should reflect some essential property, not the means of obtaining that
property.

IIRC, there is crypto involved: the image of the lava lamp is
cryptographically hashed.