[cap-talk] VOC <-> DAC distinction (was: RE: In defense of P-1935)

Karp, Alan H alan.karp at hp.com
Sun Feb 3 21:48:40 EST 2008

Jed wrote:

> >If the delegator is not confined, it's VOC.

Oops.  I meant to say that if the delegator is not confined but the delegation may be made ineffective (blocked or not honored), it's VOC.

> I think I understand, though as I say, the terminology
> does sometime seems a bit slippery to me.  I just wonder
> if you could clarify for me whether or not you consider
> optionally delegating through Horton tunnels as VOC or
> not.

I do.  If there are no Horton tunnels (or some other mechanism to make delegations ineffective), then I consider it DAC without MAC.

Alan Karp
Principal Scientist
Virus Safe Computing Initiative
Hewlett-Packard Laboratories