[cap-talk] MinorFS Philosophy

Karp, Alan H alan.karp at hp.com
Mon Jul 14 19:24:45 CDT 2008

Rob Meijer wrote:

> 2) * U asks M to delegate F.
>    * M creates F in its own enviroment and delegates a read only
>      capability to it to U, and keeps it in its controll for later
> usage.
>    * U (optionaly attenuated) re-delegates the received capability to
> P.
>    * P opens F and renders it.

Let me see if I understand.  The user has a right, such as the right to start a word processor application.  The user asks the application to create a new file, which the application does.  The application then delegates r/o authority to the user.  While the word processor is running, the user can save changes using the word processor's write authority.  At any time, the user can delegate the r/o authority to a rendering process for display.  Is that right?

Now to my problem.  The user closes the word processor application.  The user now re-opens the word processor application.  How does the user get r/o authority to the file?  What does the user do to edit the file?

Alan Karp
Principal Scientist
Virus Safe Computing Initiative
Hewlett-Packard Laboratories