[cap-talk] Midori in The Register

Toby Murray toby.murray at comlab.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 30 15:29:39 CDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 14:58 -0400, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
> Midori certainly will NOT be the successor to windows. It's a
> qualitative shift in technology, and backward compatibility just isn't
> going to happen with any bounded amount of cost here.

That's probably true but don't forget that compatibility is a simple as
implementing a virtual machine. Given the connection to the hypervisor
technology mentioned in the article and the strong natural similarities
anyway between microkernels and hypervisors, it is not unthinkable that
one could provide compatability by executing legacy code in its own
domain.

> What Midori *may* turn into (I am speculating) is an embedded system
> platform, which is a place where the compatibility commitment is less
> pressing and the driver problem less overwhelming.

The work by the various L4 groups at running whole Linux stacks on top
of various flavours of the L4 microkernel (including some of the newer
capability-based ones) demonstrates that the embedded space is not the
only possible application area, but merely the easiest one to target.