[cap-talk] MinorFS Philosophy

Karp, Alan H alan.karp at hp.com
Thu Jul 31 10:10:34 CDT 2008

Rob Meijer wrote:

> * You could view Editor as being a class and non delegated permisions
> as
> private instance member data. Data hiding would I feel make the user's
> life simpler just as it makes a programers life simpler not to have to
> make all
> her variables global ones.

Programs try to do that today by putting some files in odd places, e.g., Application Data in Windows.  That only approximates the desired behavior because Windows can't stop the user from modifying these files from outside the application.  Your approach can.  Now THAT's useful.

Alan Karp
Principal Scientist
Virus Safe Computing Initiative
Hewlett-Packard Laboratories