[cap-talk] Security choices - human vs. automated (was: Google Chrome - browser sandboxed)

Jed Donnelley capability at webstart.com
Mon Sep 8 13:44:05 CDT 2008

At 12:17 AM 9/7/2008, Raoul Duke wrote:
> >>i wish i knew how to say the devil is in the details in latin.
> >
> > Certainly true.  There are some details that are "technical" as above
> > and can be engineered tight.  There are other "details" that seem
> > to me to necessarily involve a value judgement that I believe is
> > appropriate for people controlling power box interfaces.
>
>hm, i think i understand what you are saying,

Good, I'd hoped that others would at least follow the thought.

>but i think the distinction is not easy to make in all cases.

My thesis is that it is.  To show me wrong all you need to do
is to present some examples that fall into the category of:

a.  Can't be automates, and
b.  No suitable for a human (e.g. power box) decision.

>well, or perhaps i'm
>only thinking about it from the perspective of current
>less-than-tightly-engineered systems.

That's what I'm thinking, but I think it will be pretty
easy to show me wrong if I clearly am very wide of the mark
with this thought.

--Jed  http://www.webstart.com/jed-signature.html