[cap-talk] More Heresey: ACLs not inherently bad

Marcus Brinkmann marcus.brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Sep 25 13:39:40 CDT 2008

At Thu, 25 Sep 2008 13:56:38 -0400,
"Jonathan S. Shapiro" <shap at eros-os.com> wrote:
> > > I believe the reason we
> > > haven't seen such attacks on Linux is the dearth of toolkits for
> > > generating them.
>
> This is in turn due to the relatively low LINUX desktop market share.
> Google Android is about to "fix" that.

Embedded devices are not particularly strong participants in the free
software ecosystem, their life cycle is just too short.  Google
decidedly is not a strong participant in the free software ecosystem,
their stakes are too high.  They can't allow you to switch off the
advertisement, so they need control over the platform.

In the cross section of these two, I doubt you will find much of a
valid comparison.

Embedded devices are certainly an attractive target, but on the
desktop, I think that Mac OS might come next.  Larger user base, more
homogenous software base, more gullible users, with spare money, who
are educated by Apple that viruses are impossible on their system.
It's a gift from heaven.

Thanks,
Marcus