[cap-talk] Reducing Ambient user authority in a Type Safe /Memory Safe OS.

Ben Kloosterman bklooste at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 05:02:20 PST 2009

Thanks Toby , I will have a closer look at Plash tomorrow it looks
interesting from the point of view of binary dependencies.

Note the escalations are a bit different from  Windows UAC and sudo due to
the fact that the granularity is application (per user) instead of user and
there is no su account. Because by default an application has no authority
everything needs to be added.

The idea with the escalations is that there is little Ambient authority from
the user and on a totally secure system   you can with a policy setting
disable it. However I would argue that without such an escalation most
initial install settings would need to be looser eg instead of saying only
word has r/w access to  .doc files in the home directory and only excel .xls
you get the situation that all applications have full access to the users
home directory. With escalation you can use very tight settings and then
escalate them as needed, after a short time all the settings would be in
place.

Anyway it allows both a very secure pure capability system and a less secure
( though significantly better than existing OS) home GP OS but still easy to
use system depending on policy.

Regards,

Ben