[cap-talk] capability networks compared with ACL networks?

David-Sarah Hopwood david.hopwood at industrial-designers.co.uk
Fri Feb 6 05:33:32 EST 2009

John Carlson wrote:
> I just finished reading:
>
> http://conferences.sigcomm.org/hotnets/2005/papers/argyraki.pdf
>
> That was the first time I have heard of a DoC (Denial of Capability)
> attack. The gist of it is that you send enough capability requests to
> prevent others from sending capability requests.

Note that this is a highly specialized use of the term "capability" in
a recently proposed group of protocols aimed at reducing vulnerability
of packet networks to denial of service. These protocols are partly
inspired by capability systems, but the "capabilities" used in them
are not object capabilities, and are not being used for access control
in the normal sense.

So, in reference to the subject line, there are no corresponding ACL
networks. There are only networks that make little or no attempt to
address DoS at all.

--
David-Sarah Hopwood ⚥