[cap-talk] Confused Deputies in Capability Systems

Sandro Magi naasking at higherlogics.com
Fri Feb 6 09:49:25 EST 2009

I think the last discussion of confused deputies indeed concluded, as
you say, that object-capability systems are vulnerable to the confused
deputy when performing a rights amplification. However, rights
amplification should be less common than typical capability invocation,
and should be carefully guarded due to the increased potential for
damage, which is why it is often an explicit operation. This is what
provides the safety against confused deputies in object-capability
systems, and this is the benefit of capabilities.

An object-capability program that uses no rights amplification is not
subject to confused deputies. Programs that do perform rights
amplification must carefully vet arguments to avoid confused deputies.
Systems with implicit rights amplification, like Alan's package-scoped
Joe-E example [1,2], are also clearly subject to confusion and must vet
arguments as well (other solutions to this one interest me a great deal).

Given rights amplification is often an explicit operation, is more
really required? On the ACL side, if ACL systems had a way to wrap input
parameters in a "vetted" type so the server accepts only an authorized
path string from clients, then the same resistance to confused deputies
are enjoyed for ACLs (the vetted type performs the access check before
it is sent to the service). Assuming the service also doesn't perform
some other type of rights amplification of course.

Sandro

[1] http://www.eros-os.org/pipermail/cap-talk/2008-February/009867.html
[2] http://www.eros-os.org/pipermail/cap-talk/2008-February/009957.html