[cap-talk] Confused Deputies in Capability Systems

Matej Kosik kosik at fiit.stuba.sk
Wed Feb 11 08:43:02 EST 2009

Toby Murray wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-02-10 at 21:31 -0800, Bill Frantz wrote:
>> marcus.brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de (Marcus Brinkmann) on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 wrote:
>>
>>> It's even simpler.  A confused deputy can also arise in capability systems
>>> if a capability is designated by a symbolic name rather than a capability.
>>> Any service that translates names to capabilities can potentially have a
>>> confused deputy problem.
>> I am truly confused. How does translating a name, such as clist item[5],
>> into a capability introduce the problem of using the wrong subject to check
>> the authority, which is the essence of confused deputy?
>
> Suppose one process has a really powerful capability in clist slot N.
> Suppose it is implemented like this:
>
> char msg[] = ...
> char rmsg[] = ...
> unsigned int len;
> while (true) {
>     uint index, replyCap;
>     recvFromAnyone(msg,sizeof(msg),&len,&replyCap);
>     index = atoi(msg);
>     sendAndReceive(index,msg
> +sizeof(uint),len-sizeof(uint),rmsg,sizeof(rmsg),&len);
>     sendMessage(replyCap,rmsg,len)
> }

If I ignore the (probable) misuse of `sizeof' operator for determining
the size of the message (as opposed to the size of the pointer to the
message), I would like to ask:

Is the first parameter of `sendAndReceive' function interpreted (by
kernel) as capability? (i.e. an index to a c-list of the process that
executes this code) ?