[cap-talk] Core of IBAC dominance - direction? (was: Re: Confused Deputies in Capability Systems - not)

John Carlson john.carlson3 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 1 22:35:21 EST 2009

On Mar 1, 2009, at 5:51 PM, Jed Donnelley wrote:

> What I haven't yet seen for such network capabilities as data is a
> mechanism for making the objects they point to available as
> semantically equivalent objects in existing systems, e.g. Unix
> and/or Windows.  As perhaps with a mechanism to "mount" a
> networked directory capability with the ability to inject (import?)
> such files and/or directories into a local structure - providing
> the ability to apply local tools to them (e.g. players for
> viewing, editors for file manipulation, listing for directories,
> etc.).  It seems that effective caching and locking would be needed.
> Of course there would be (are?  Are there such mechanisms available?)
> conflicts in the area of access control, but that's to be expected
> without agreement on IDs.
>
> Can anybody point me to such existing facilities - e.g. for
> YURLs/Web Keys?

I'm not sure about other systems, but we are moving from a webDAV
foldering
system to URNs with a GUID/UUID.  That's kind of like a WebKey I guess.
We didn't choose it for security reasons per se, it's more like we
didn't want to incur
the locking overhead when writing images to a folder in a transaction,
so we separated
the metadata transaction from the image transaction.

With webDAV (IFS) from Oracle, you can mount the webDAV as a partition
on Windows,  through NFS or HTTP (in the file system) on Linux.  We
only enable the URN through the web server, because we had to write an
aspect to allow URNs to be specified.

So I would look for webDAVs which supported GUIDs/UUIDs

http://www.ics.uci.edu/~ejw/authoring/uuid-guid/draft-leach-uuids-guids-01.txt