[cap-talk] Scope/span of capability systems

Karp, Alan H alan.karp at hp.com
Thu Mar 5 12:48:23 EST 2009

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> In a world where we can't even agree on compatible data formats, I see little
> chance to agree on compatible capability interfaces, which have potentially a
> much higher degree of complexity.
Data format compatibility is the dirty little secret of the Services Oriented Architecture and the major barrier to achieving its full potential.  On the other hand, there are a number of widely accepted standards for capability formats, including SPKI, Kerberos, and SAML.  Agreeing on which one to use is a far simpler problem that solving the data compatibility problem.

Alan Karp
Principal Scientist
Virus Safe Computing Initiative
Hewlett-Packard Laboratories