[cap-talk] A Taxonomy of Current Object-Cap Systems

Charles Landau clandau at macslab.com
Thu Mar 5 17:10:42 EST 2009

Toby Murray wrote:
> The current systems included in the taxonomy are:
> EROS/CapROS

EROS and CaPROS are two different systems and should be listed
separately. The CapROS implementation has diverged significantly from
EROS, and the design has also to a lesser extent.

Bill Frantz wrote:
> toby.murray at comlab.ox.ac.uk (Toby Murray) on Wednesday, March 4, 2009 wrote:
>
>> >Notable omissions therefore include KeyKOS and
>> >(D)CCS (the first object-capability OSes) and Gedanken (the first
>> >object-capability language).
>
> I believe that a direct descendent of KeyKOS was released by Agorics (RIP)
> under an open source license. Every time I try to give it a name, I get
> told, "Oh no, that's not the name. That name has IP problems."

Whatever the name, it's at http://www.cap-lore.com/CapTheory/KK/Apridos/.
It runs on a computer that's no longer for sale (if it ever was), but if
someone has one, they could run it.

The S/370 version of KeyKOS will run on a S/370 emulator (there's one
for the PC). It's proprietary, but the owners of the code could write
code for it today. I'd argue for its inclusion.