[cap-talk] A Taxonomy of Current Object-Cap Systems

Toby Murray toby.murray at comlab.ox.ac.uk
Fri Mar 6 03:45:27 EST 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 14:10 -0800, Charles Landau wrote:
> Toby Murray wrote:
> > The current systems included in the taxonomy are:
> > EROS/CapROS
>
> EROS and CaPROS are two different systems and should be listed
> separately. The CapROS implementation has diverged significantly from
> EROS, and the design has also to a lesser extent.

Thanks for that. Can you tell me whether EROS still runs? Could you also
have a look at the current taxonomy
(http://web.comlab.ox.ac.uk/people/toby.murray/tmp/taxonomy.pdf) and
tell me whether CapROS deviates from EROS in any of the items listed
(which are all defined in bullet points after the table.) Is there some
CapROS documentation I can point to to justify assertions that are made
about it in the table? (Ideally, I'd like to provide a reference to
back-up every claim that it makes for all systems there.)

> Bill Frantz wrote:

> > I believe that a direct descendent of KeyKOS was released by Agorics (RIP)
> > under an open source license. Every time I try to give it a name, I get
> > told, "Oh no, that's not the name. That name has IP problems."
>
> Whatever the name, it's at http://www.cap-lore.com/CapTheory/KK/Apridos/.
> It runs on a computer that's no longer for sale (if it ever was), but if
> someone has one, they could run it.
>
> The S/370 version of KeyKOS will run on a S/370 emulator (there's one
> for the PC). It's proprietary, but the owners of the code could write
> code for it today. I'd argue for its inclusion.

Good. If you tell me how these fit into the taxonomy I'll certainly
include them.

Cheers

Toby