[cap-talk] A Taxonomy of Current Object-Cap Systems

Charles Landau clandau at macslab.com
Fri Mar 6 22:10:48 EST 2009

Toby Murray wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 14:10 -0800, Charles Landau wrote:
>> EROS and CaPROS are two different systems and should be listed
>> separately. The CapROS implementation has diverged significantly from
>> EROS, and the design has also to a lesser extent.
>>

> Thanks for that. Can you tell me whether EROS still runs?

Jonathan Shapiro would of course be the authority on that, but he has
been notably absent from this list of late. I believe that when
development stopped around 2004, it did run, but did not do
checkpointing or persistence. PC's tend to be backward-compatible so it
would probably run on today's computers - if not, I have a "boat anchor"
that would run it. You'd need to get an ancient version of Linux to
build it, but I believe you *could* run it.

> Could you also
> have a look at the current taxonomy
> (http://web.comlab.ox.ac.uk/people/toby.murray/tmp/taxonomy.pdf) and
> tell me whether CapROS deviates from EROS in any of the items listed
> (which are all defined in bullet points after the table.)

KeyKOS, EROS, and CapROS all have the same taxonomy.

> Is there some
> CapROS documentation I can point to to justify assertions that are made
> about it in the table? (Ideally, I'd like to provide a reference to
> back-up every claim that it makes for all systems there.)

Regrettably, not at this time. I'm referring people to the EROS
documentation for now.