[cap-talk] Simple Cooperative File Sharing (SCoopFS), the "F" is silent

William Pearson wil.pearson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 18:54:53 EDT 2009

2009/3/9 Karp, Alan H <alan.karp at hp.com>:
> We've been working on a project in usable security for the past couple of years and finally got around to writing a tech report.  Comments appreciated.
>
> http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/2009/HPL-2009-53.html

Very interesting. I've been thinking about something like this
recently (I like social networks, but don't want to put all my
pictures on people I don't knows hardware). Something you may be
interested in from a UI point of view is dropbox.
http://www.getdropbox.com/ which has the metaphor of just putting
things in special folders to move files between computers.

So an ideal user interface as far as I am concerned is when I set up a
buddy a new folder is created ( or perhaps 2 one with a RO permissions
and one with RW).

I'm also unsure if I would need to be online to share a file with
someone else? If I can't, i'd like it if it were more bittorrenty so
that you could share a file with a group of people, and if one of them
were off-line they could get it from any of the group when they came
online even if you had shut down. Possibly you would do this by
sharing a little meta file with the webkeys of who is allowed to
download the file and when two computers hand shake they check whether
there are any new files to be downloaded.

Good work, I'll be keeping my eye on where this sort of thing goes. I
think it could end up a more flexible, private form of Facebook, which
when you get right down to it is just about sharing files between
friends.

 Will Pearson