[cap-talk] contemplating Waterken + X3D--synergy

Stiegler, Marc D marc.d.stiegler at hp.com
Tue Mar 17 14:11:04 EDT 2009

Waterken is substantially different now from the old system that used XML on the wire and created web pages using XSLT transformations. As you have perceived, it now uses JSON on the wire, and JavaScript on the client side to create the web page. The JavaScript ref_send library supplied with waterken makes it easy for JavaScript objects to interact with server-side Java objects with a high-level promise pipelining abstraction. Client-side programmers never have to see xml or json or http requests or posts or gets, it's all just message-passing objects -- a huge leap forward from the basic AJAX approach. The ref-send library is Caja-compatible, so you can enforce caja confinement on client side objects. The waterken server itself is compiled under Joe-E discipline, and server-side applications can also be built under Joe-E discipline, though frankly the SCoopFS system violates enough Joe-E rules that I do not compile it under Joe-E: an inadequate number of authorities have been tamely integrated into the waterken framework to make an application like SCoopFS straightforward to implement. Having built SCoopFS I am now finally getting a clear idea on how to integrate tamed authorities into waterken, the environment is sufficiently different from the capdesk and emily and E environments, I spent a lot of time stymied on the question of what it would mean to integrate ocap authorities.

The biggest problem with waterken at this point is probably the near-perfect absence of documentation. This is my fault, I've been promising tyler documentation for over a year now, but it keeps being not-quite-highest-priority. Despite this, a couple of people have successfully used the server to build prototype applications, starting with the example apps distributed with the server and scrutiny of the source code.

--marcs