[cap-talk] [e-lang] File API taming

Marcus Brinkmann marcus.brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Mar 20 09:07:22 EDT 2009

Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:
> After a few minutes of thinking about this I changed it from having a
> reference to its own original source file, to having a tuple of 1. a
> reference to a directory, and 2. the name of its original source
> within that directory.  Then the RSS feed started working.  (Please
> subscribe to my RSS feed.  :-))

This is an old idea, see:

Lexical File Names in Plan 9, or, Getting Dot-Dot Right  (Rob Pike)
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/lexnames.pdf

The GNU Hurd implememnts .. resolution within a multi-server capability
system.  This design is discussed in:

A Critique of the GNU Hurd Multi-server Operating System (Walfield, Brinkmann)

The Plan 9 paper is referenced as one solution to the (legacy) problems in the
Hurd approach.

Thanks,
Marcus