[cap-talk] Webkeys vs. the web

Stiegler, Marc D marc.d.stiegler at hp.com
Mon Mar 23 16:22:32 EDT 2009

I am presuming that the service would be using the "forgot your password" protocol anyway for people who forget their password. In which case, there is no increase in vulnerability: an attacker who has the prerequisite mitm authority can always simply run this attack against you anyway, just by clicking "forgot my password" button for you :-)

The advantage of my proposal is we are not adding yet another password to the burden. I consider the yet another password more burden than the wait for the email, especially in the situation where I am rarely using a machine that does not have the direct bookmark (which means I have surely forgotten the password anyway, because it has been such a long time since I needed it, why not just cut straight to the chase?). Of course, YMMV.

But none of this addresses chip's real concern, which is a different problem.

--marcs