[cap-talk] Webkeys vs. the web

Chip Morningstar chip at fudco.com
Tue Mar 24 19:09:54 EDT 2009

David-Sarah Hopwood <david.hopwood at industrial-designers.co.uk> wrote:

>Chip Morningstar wrote:
>> Here's an idea for y'all to try to shoot down:
>>
>> In addition to its normal "cookie nature", you can treat a cookie simply as a
>> small piece of persistent storage that survives a page load and is accessible
>> to Javascript.
>
>I don't understand the goal: why do you think that client-side persistent
>storage (other than bookmarks and the state of browser windows) is needed?

The goal is to satisfy a requirement to have any page on our site contain a
link (or some other UI widget) that takes a user back to their home authority
context, while being safe from clickjacking, without using bookmarks.  By
"without using bookmarks", I mean by using a UI that is presented by our
application, rather than expecting users to follow instructions to do something
independent in their web browser.

Chip