[cap-talk] state of art in capabilities

Karp, Alan H alan.karp at hp.com
Tue Mar 31 12:16:00 EDT 2009

John Carlson wrote:

> Say I wanted to use a web key capability to protect a collection of a
> single type of object (a capability per collection), and provide basic
> Create, Read, and Delete operations on the collection in a web user
> interface.  I want anonymity, sharing, revocation.  What is the state
> of the art?  What's the best approach?  I'm running Mac OS X on Intel.

I prepared a mockup of such a UI for Open Cirrus, the HP-Intel-Yahoo cloud effort,

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Alan_Karp/CloudAuthorization.pdf,

which I believe can be implemented with JavaScript using YUI,

http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/.

You can also look at Adobe FlexBuilder for building the UI in Flash, which is what we used for SCoopFS.

Alan Karp
Principal Scientist
Virus Safe Computing Initiative
Hewlett-Packard Laboratories