[cap-talk] Bellovin paper that cites Hayek to justify enabling easy delegation

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Tue Nov 10 21:00:40 PST 2009

Bill Frantz wrote:
> alan.karp at hp.com (Karp, Alan H) on Tuesday, November 10, 2009 wrote:
>
>> Laissez-faire file sharing: Access control designed for individuals at the endpoints
>>
>> http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb/papers/nspw-use.pdf
>
> They say:
>
>     While the freedom to restrict access or further delegation
>     may initially seem counter to a laissez-faire philosophy, such
>     restrictions are the foundation of intellectual property law
>     designed to spur innovation.

Well, at least my opinions about both of those are consistent :-)

More seriously, that's pretty much the only questionable sentence in
a paper that generally argues strongly for freedom of delegation. It's
somewhat verbose, but there's very little that I would disagree with.

>     Freedom of delegation is one of the most attractive proper-
>     ties of email attachments, as files can be shared with anyone
>     (or any group) with an email address.
>
> I notice they don't mention that email attachments have no effective
> controls on further delegation. :-)

They do mention that, in section 2:

# By attaching a file to an email one may sacrifice the ability to
# permanently delete the data, prevent readers from forwarding it to
# others, or prevent others from editing their own copy.