[cap-talk] DARPA Network Challenge

Jed Donnelley capability at webstart.com
Thu Nov 19 01:22:44 PST 2009

Cap-talk,

I thought some of you might find this DARPA Network (weather balloon)
Challenge of interest:

http://networkchallenge.darpa.mil/

There is discussion of it in a variety of places, but I found this
somewhat self serving review of team efforts to win it of interest:

http://cashforredballoons.com/

I somewhat doubt that it will be won - at least this first time around.

One technical aspect that I find interesting is that of providing
assurance that people who submit data on sightings will actually be
rewarded (e.g. vs. the site operators pocketing the "win"nings by
saying that they or their friends actually submitted the sighting earlier).

If anybody has thoughts on how to solve that technical problem (not
with trust, but with computation) I'd be interested to hear them.  In
principle it seems to me that a site that would output signed data
containing the sequence of sightings input would come pretty
close.  It would seem a bit improbable that a sighting of the balloon
that I saw would come in seconds before my sighting was submitted
(the output of the other sighting coming back to me before my own
sighting came back).

I know I'll be taking a look from our high rise office building on
Dec 5th to see if I see any red weather balloons flying over San
Francisco.  ;-)

I'm not sure yet if I'll report any such sightings.

If anybody else is planning to participate, I'd be interested to hear
your thoughts.

--Jed  http://www.webstart.com/jed-signature.html