[cap-talk] Sensory entry points (start keys) in Gnosis like systems

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Sun Jul 18 16:17:20 PDT 2010

Last Friday a number of us were discussing computer architecture
issues when Mark Miller said, "I really wish you could pass
start keys[1] through sense keys[2].

For those who aren't familiar with Gnosis and similar systems
such as KeyKOS, EROS, CapROS, and Coyotos; a start Key is like
an object reference in that it lets you invoke the objects
methods, without being able to access the object's internals. A
sense key forces any keys fetched through it to be "sensory",
which means essentially that they my not be used to send
information, only to fetch it. The current version of Sensory
keys are most useful for use with memory segments, where they
give a read-only view of the memory.

I made the observation that no-hole[3] factory requestor keys[4]
could be passed through the sensory filter without changing any
of the important Gnosis security assertions. (Please, if you are
even a bit nervous about this contention, speak up.) Changing
Gnosis to pass no-hold requestor's keys would allow at least one
type of start key, and perhaps provide useful function.

A fruitful discussion ensued with active input from Norm Hardy,
Brian Werner, Chip Morningstar, Keven Reed and Alan Karp among
others. This email is meant to document and extend these ideas.

Lets define, for the sake of exposition, two objects, the active
object A which was built by factory FA and the observer object O
which can access the internal state of A and is built by factory
FO. Also note that when building FO, one can install a sense key
to a running domain's memory as a component of a new factory
without adding to the hole count.[5]

In theory, we could also install a sense key to the "_general
key node"[6] of A, but in the current Gnosis implementation, the
_general key node is closely held. Such a sensory key would
allow O to fetch sensory versions of any of A's keys.

Even without access to A's keys, O can read A's memory and
implement most "getter" functions.

It was noted that to be truly useful, this facility would need
to be usable in cascade, so O can access the observer domains
for the objects that A uses. "Fetcher" factories[4] provide
similar function.

It was also noted that writing code to implement O would be
quite difficult as A can change the invariants of its state
while O is running since A and O are separate domains.

So, let me see if I can sketch a solution to these problems, at
least well enough so Mark can try to apply the ideas in the
language design area.

The problem of changing invariants can be addressed by allowing
a running process in only one of A and O at a time. I can think
of two ways off the top of my head to implement this feature,
one is to have two views of a single domain, and the is to do
some magic with the scheduler. Both of these approaches seem to
introduce significant timing channels.

Another approach uses a virtual copy object with commit for A's
memory. Before A changes its memory, it makes a virtual copy.
When the invariants again hold, A can commit the changes. O only
sees the most recently committed changes. This reduces the
timing channel to the one that is always present when two
objects share memory. However it incurs the cost of the commit operation.

If we define a new version of the sense key that can locate (by
convention) the sensory version of a domain and make the change
alluded to above allowing O sensory access to A's _general keys
node, then we can solve the cascade problem. From my memory of
the implementation of the Gnosis kernel, I don't think allowing
such sensory access would be too difficult.

Implementing the new sense key probably has many solutions. Off
the top of my head, one is to have a slot in the domain which is
defined to hold FO. When fetching a start key to A through the
new sensory key, if that slot holds a no-hole factory, that
factory is returned. A specific return code can specify whether
the caller needs to get the yield of the factory, or can use the
sensory result directly.

Comments are more than welcome.

[1] <http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~KeyKOS/agorics/KeyKos/Gnosis/18.html#entry>
[2] <http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~KeyKOS/agorics/KeyKos/Gnosis/34.html#sense-int>
[3] <http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~KeyKOS/agorics/KeyKos/Gnosis/73.html#hole>
[4] <http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~KeyKOS/agorics/KeyKos/Gnosis/68.html>
[5] To build FB, it is sufficient to have a start key to A and
the builder's key for FA.
[6] <http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~KeyKOS/agorics/KeyKos/Gnosis/15.html#realdom>

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | When it comes to the world     | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | around us, is there any choice | 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com | but to explore? - Lisa Randall | Los Gatos,
CA 95032